Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs) are a type of mental health treatment program offering a convenient hybrid approach. PHPs allow clients more freedom in day-to-day life and provide a middle ground between outpatient talk therapy and inpatient hospital care.
Generally, most individuals are aware of two types of mental health treatment: basic talk therapy (called “outpatient therapy”) and more restrictive care, typically offered in a hospital setting (called “inpatient therapy”). Both of these types of care are well-designed and strongly beneficial. However, many individuals may require something that lies somewhere in between outpatient talk therapy and complete hospitalization. That’s where PHPs come into play.
PHPs offer an option when full inpatient and full outpatient therapy aren’t ideal. When clients enroll in a PHP, they attend therapy sessions at certain times during the day. When not in treatment, clients may go about their daily lives and attend work or school.
Benefits of a PHP
- Scientifically backed care: PHPs are evidence-based for treating mental health conditions. They have been found to be especially effective in improving social functioning.
- Structured care: PHPs provide a greater amount of structure than inpatient care. While enrolled, clients have access to therapy every week in a familiar, friendly environment.
- Access to community: Mental health challenges can be isolating. In a PHP, clients can meet others dealing with similar difficulties, learn from them, and access support that is often inaccessible otherwise. In addition, the presence of mental health professionals ensures that all individuals in a PHP are safe, welcome, and heard.
- Stigma-free recovery environment: Stigma for mental health issues is still all too common. When in treatment, clients can learn about their symptoms and begin recovery in a space free of judgment or shame.
- Control over one’s schedule: Accessing treatment shouldn’t mean one can no longer decide their schedule. Clients in a PHP maintain control over their daily schedules and can continue to go to work, classes, and other events.
- Client autonomy: PHPs allow a great level of autonomy and choice, with clients working with staff to ensure their treatment effectively meets their needs.
Alter Wellness Care, located in beautiful Laguna Beach, California, offers a state-of-the-art PHP for those experiencing mental health difficulties. This program lasts an average of 30 to 45 days. Therapy sessions are offered three to five days a week at the following times:
- 9:00 a.m.
- 10:30 a.m.
- 1:00 p.m.
- 2:30 p.m.
During their entire treatment program, our clients stay in a local sober-living house.
IOPs vs. PHPs
Alter Wellness Care also offers two intensive outpatient programs (IOPs). The primary difference between our IOPs and our PHP is the time investment. While our PHP spans a similar length of time, clients are not expected to be in treatment for as many hours per day.
What Makes Our Treatment Unique?
At Alter Wellness Care, we believe everyone deserves quality, holistic care. Our team of experts carefully designed our PHP in accordance with the most current studies and knowledge to ensure clients have the most effective recovery experience possible.
Trauma-informed care is a treatment philosophy originating in the 1970s to treat veterans of the Vietnam War. Since then, this type of care has been used in a variety of healthcare settings. Trauma-informed care aims to better recognize and treat those who have experienced traumas and create space for healing. At Alter Wellness Care, we utilize trauma-informed care practices to ensure that all clients’ histories and struggles are fully recognized and addressed.
We believe effective treatment must account for all aspects of an individual’s well-being. Our PHP is designed around whole-person wellness, a six-dimensional approach to mental health and wellness. These six pillars include emotional, social, physical, intellectual, spiritual, and occupational wellness.
One of the main benefits of a PHP is the ability to control one’s schedule. For those living far away, convenience is considered. It can be difficult if attending a PHP requires driving a long distance multiple times a week. To ensure comfort and convenience, our clients stay in a nearby sober living house during treatment, ensuring ease of access to their treatment.
At Alter Wellness Care, we offer a variety of treatment options, including:
- Psycho-educational groups: In our psycho-educational groups, clients learn about their mental health and symptoms in a safe environment.
- Skills development groups: Based on the needs of the group, our mental health experts work with clients to establish what skills would be most beneficial for recovery. These skills groups typically focus on mental health skills.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) groups: CBT is a type of therapy that teaches effective skills to manage harmful thoughts or beliefs. In CBT groups, clients learn how to recognize these harmful thoughts and counteract them, working with their peers to create a healthier frame of mind.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT): DBT, a subset of CBT, focuses on emotional skills. Our DBT teaches four emotional skill sets, including emotional regulation, mindfulness, interpersonal effectiveness, and distress tolerance.
- Support groups: Surrounded by compassionate peers, clients learn interpersonal skills and strengthen their problem-solving and mental health skills.
- Interpersonal process groups: In interpersonal process groups, clients learn to identify and process traumas, handle conflicts, and learn about the impact of their childhood experiences on their thoughts and behaviors.
- Acceptance therapy: Acceptance therapy is a unique treatment that focuses on one’s self and one’s own goals. In acceptance therapy, clients learn to identify what is most important to them, what future they’d like to build, what they desire from their relationships, and what their ideal behaviors are. Working with therapists, clients then learn how to commit themselves to this plan and pave the way toward their goals.
Alter Wellness Care’s PHP offers holistic, evidence-based treatment and a safe place to recover. Call (866) 515-1580 to learn about our services and access help.