Mild neurocognitive disorder (mNCD), also known as “mild cognitive impairment,” is a disorder associated with low-level cognitive changes, especially memory loss. Unlike other neurocognitive disorders, mNCD largely does not impact one’s daily ability to function. In some cases, mNCD can develop into dementia. mNCD is most common in older adults.
Symptoms of Mild Neurocognitive Disorder
- Frequently losing things
- Forgetting to attend important events
- Forgetting words or phrases
While symptoms of mNCD can occur in anyone, mNCD is diagnosed in comparison to those of similar age. If you or a loved one experiences these symptoms more often than others their age, it’s time to speak to a medical professional.
Mild Neurocognitive Disorder Statistics
While mNCD can be difficult, treatment is possible and can help you to live the life you seek.
mNCD, Dementia, and Alzheimer’s Disorder
mNCD is commonly associated with dementia, including Alzheimer’s disease. Unlike these other disorders, the symptoms of mNCD are mild and do not typically require additional care. People with mNCD do not undergo the personality changes or difficulties recognizing reality that are associated with Alzheimer’s disorder and other forms of dementia.
In some cases, mNCD may develop into a form of dementia. Some experts believe that mNCD may be an early form of dementia. However, more research is needed to fully understand the disorder.
Why Is Treating Mild Neurocognitive Disorder So Important?
mNCD can pose difficulties to those with the disorder. Although the symptoms of mNCD are not typically severe enough to warrant treatment by themselves, they may exacerbate the symptoms of other disorders. In addition, those with mNCD are more likely to develop dementia. By seeking treatment quickly, the symptoms of mNCD can be lessened, preventing further difficulties and worsened symptoms.
Alter Wellness Care’s Program
Alter Wellness Care, located in sunny Laguna Beach, California, offers cutting-edge treatments for those with mNCD and other disorders. Each person seeking treatment has different needs and abilities, and as such, each person requires different care. To ensure your care is best suited to you, we offer multiple care options. These services include intensive outpatient programs (IOPs) and a partial hospitalization program (PHP).
Intensive Outpatient Programs Laguna Beach
Our IOPs are designed for those seeking care for longer periods or more structured care. Alter Wellness Care offers two IOP levels: IOP5 and IOP3. While each program is similar, they have some differences.
IOP5 lasts a total of 40 to 60 days. Five days a week, patients may attend multiple therapy programs. Seven days a week, patients stay at a local sober living house equipped to aid them in their treatment.
IOP3 lasts a total of 30 to 40 days. Like IOP5, patients have access to therapy during the work week and may choose between two morning sessions or two afternoon sessions. In addition, those in IOP3 also stay at a local sober living house equipped to meet their needs.
Partial Hospitalization Program Laguna Beach
Alter Wellness Care’s PHP is designed for those seeking less structured, shorter-term care. Lasting 30 to 45 days, patients have access to mental health treatment three to five days a week at several points throughout the day. Those in treatment in our PHP stay in a local sober living access house seven days a week, allowing access to a safe community around the clock.
Getting Help at Alter Wellness Care
At Alter Wellness Care, we understand that the most effective treatment is broad and holistic. To ensure that our treatment is as effective as possible, we offer a variety of scientifically backed treatment modalities. These treatments include:
- Psycho-educational groups: Treatment is most effective when those in treatment understand their disorders. In our psycho-educational groups, we help you to learn about your disorder, its symptoms, and how to cope best with difficulties.
- Skill development groups: Working with a therapist, we work with each individual in the group to prioritize the skills that are most necessary to your life and your recovery. Our skill development groups focus on your symptoms.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) groups: CBT is a scientifically-backed therapy modality designed to help you understand how your thoughts and behaviors connect. Using CBT, we help you to manage any emotional difficulties you may be facing as you age.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT): DBT teaches clients to build robust strategies for self-care and recovery.
- Support groups: No person can heal alone. In our support groups, patients strengthen their social skills while talking with others, solving problems, and sharing their lives.
- Interpersonal process groups: In interpersonal process groups, we work with you to process traumas and take steps to move forward with strength. Interpersonal process groups also aid in developing interpersonal and intrapersonal skills, teaching you the emotional skills you need in order to prepare you better for the future.
- Acceptance therapy: An important step to recovery is planning for the future. In acceptance therapy, we work with patients to figure out what’s important to them, how they want to approach difficulties in their life, and how to create strong goals that they can follow through on.
- Seeking safety: Our therapy is evidence-based, holistic, and trauma-informed. We understand that each person comes to us with a unique background and history. Our treatment reflects that.
Alter Wellness Care, located in Laguna Beach, offers holistic, scientifically-backed care for those with mild neurocognitive disorder. To learn more, call us at (866) 515-1580.