An intensive outpatient program (IOP) is a mental health treatment program where someone participates in treatment but is able to stay at their own home. IOPs are a good middle ground, providing more structure than typical outpatient talk therapy while offering much more flexibility than inpatient programs.
About IOPs Laguna Beach
Most people are aware of two main options for mental health care: talk therapy and hospital care.
The first option, “talk therapy” (also known as “outpatient therapy”), involves a client independently paying for and working with a therapist but continuing their daily lives. The second option, hospital care, involves a patient voluntarily or involuntarily entering a full-time program for mental health care, residing there full-time until their treatment has finished.
However, these two options may not be appropriate for some individuals. In many cases, talk therapy may not offer the needed support. At the same time, hospital care can be heavily restrictive, and many people may not feel it is the most ideal solution for them.
IOPs provide an intermediary step between outpatient and inpatient care. In an IOP, clients receive regular, structured care, typically offered six to 30 hours a week. When not in treatment, clients can continue to live their lives. They maintain the ability to control their schedule, go to work or classes, and make major decisions for themselves.
Benefits of IOPs
IOPs offer many benefits. In addition to benefiting the client’s mental health, IOPs often provide additional benefits over other treatment types. These benefits include:
- Scientifically backed care: Outpatient care has been scientifically proven to improve mental health outcomes.
- Structured support: IOP treatment is regular, consistent, and frequent. Unlike most traditional psychotherapy, clients enrolled in IOPs can attend therapy nearly every day, and treatment is often heavily structured and detailed.
- Access to community: IOPs provide a safe, welcoming environment for all people struggling with mental health. In an IOP, clients can meet others who are struggling with similar problems, share strategies and tools, and learn vital social skills.
- Stigma-free recovery environment: Many people experiencing mental health conditions feel unable to be open and honest about their struggles in their day-to-day lives. In an IOP, mental health is taken seriously, and the environment is designed to be stigma-free.
- Control over one’s schedule: Clients in IOPs have control over which therapy sessions they decide to attend, meaning their schedule is in their hands. In addition, clients can decide what to do and where to be while not in treatment. They may continue with work or classes.
- Client autonomy: In addition to control over one’s schedule, clients can determine many other aspects of their treatment. They work with staff to decide what is best for them.
At Alter Wellness Care, located in beautiful Laguna Beach, California, we offer two state-of-the-art, expert-led IOPs. Our IOPs are offered at two levels: IOP5 and IOP3. While our programs share some similarities, they are each designed in different ways to provide different options for clients with different needs.
IOP5 is our first level of IOP. This IOP is the longer of our treatment programs, lasting a total of 40 to 60 days. Upon enrolling in our program, clients can attend multiple therapy sessions a day, offered Monday through Friday at 9:00 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and 2:30 p.m.
While not in therapy, clients have full control over their days and may choose what they wish to do. To ensure our clients have access to a safe, comfortable, and convenient living place, clients stay in a local sober living house seven days a week.
IOP3 is our second level of IOP. It is the shorter of our IOP programs, lasting 30 to 40 days. Clients enrolled in this program can choose from one of two morning or two afternoon therapy sessions, Monday through Friday.
Our client’s safety is important to us. As such, during treatment, our clients stay in a local sober living house seven days a week. When not in treatment, clients have control over their days and may do what they wish.
What Makes Our Treatment Unique?
At Alter Wellness Care, we believe all individuals deserve safe, effective, and compassionate care. Our values and dedication to providing you with leading care make us the top choice of many individuals in the area. Some of the things that make us unique include:
- Trauma-informed care: For many years, many people in the mental health industry had a paradoxical problem. Although they believed that mental health was important and that trauma was often at the heart of many mental health difficulties, they did not appropriately account for trauma in their care or research. Now, our research and experience tell us that trauma-informed care is not only important but necessary. Our experts are trained in supporting clients with trauma and creating a safe space for everyone to heal deeper wounds.
- Whole-person wellness: Every individual that comes into our program is a unique, whole person living a complicated life. We know that – and we build that knowledge into the core of our treatment. Our program works with clients to create a map of their lives and the difficulties they are struggling with. We help them create a complete, nuanced plan for addressing those difficulties.
- Evidence-based treatment: With the rise of “quack” mental health, it can be difficult to know whether treatment is effective. At Alter Wellness Care, all of our therapy options are scientifically backed, with a wealth of evidence across many conditions and situations.
Treatment Options in Laguna Beach
One of our core treatment philosophies is choice of care. Our holistic therapy line-up offers clients choices between a variety of effective care options. These options include:
- Psychoeducational groups
- Skills development groups
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) groups
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Support groups
- Interpersonal process groups
- Acceptance therapy
IOPs are an effective, convenient type of care that can fit well with many lifestyles. These programs just may provide the flexibility and support that you desire. Call (866) 515-1580 to learn more about Alter Wellness Care’s IOPs.