Brain disorders are a broad category of conditions that can affect the brain and cause severe problems for those who experience them. However, with strong professional support, those with brain disorders can live quality lives and achieve their goals.
Types of Brain Disorders
There are many types of brain disorders. Some types of brain disorders include:
- Mental illnesses: Like other brain disorders, mental illnesses are related to your brain chemistry and can cause and be caused by physical, environmental, or genetic effects. Mental illnesses are treatable with medication, therapy, and support.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and concussion: TBIs are a type of injury that affects the functioning of your brain. TBIs can be lifelong and disabling to those who have them. One common type of TBI is a concussion.
- Diseases of the brain: Many conditions affect the brain and can be serious. Brain diseases include (but are not limited to) Alzheimer’s disease, encephalopathy, varieties of dementia, epilepsy, brain cancer, Parkinson’s disease, and more.
Although brain disorders come in many varieties, they can all be seriously disabling.
Symptoms of Brain Disorders
As there are many types of brain disorders, various symptoms exist, and all vary between disorders. However, because many of these disorders overlap, there are some symptoms that are more common than others. Common symptoms across many brain disorders include:
- Forgetfulness and poor memory
- Anxiety, irritability, and sadness
- Difficulty starting, stopping, and completing tasks
- Changes in mood
- Insomnia, excessive sleepiness, or nighttime wakefulness
- Headaches or pain in the head and neck region
- Nausea or dizziness
If you are experiencing new or worsening symptoms of brain disorders, seeking help is vital. Expert care and treatment can increase your quality of life, help to ensure your safety, and allow you to meet your goals.
Brain Disorder Statistics
Brain disorders are common and can be debilitating. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 52.9 million adults had a mental illness in 2020. Young adults, women, and people of color, especially people who identify as two or more races, are the most likely to be diagnosed with a mental illness.
In addition to mental illnesses, TBIs are common. The most common causes of TBIs are falls, firearm injuries, motor vehicle crashes, and assaults. TBIs can cause health issues in the short and long term, and many with TBIs may need intensive treatment.
Why Is Treating Brain Disorders Important?
Having a brain disorder can be very serious. Those with these disorders often find it difficult to take care of themselves, struggle with their mental health, and may become isolated from community support. With treatment, it is possible to manage symptoms and live a better quality of life.
Alter Wellness Care Brain Disorder Treatments Laguna Beach
Located in beautiful Laguna Beach, California, Alter Wellness Care offers scientifically proven holistic treatment options for individuals struggling with a brain disorder. We recognize that different individuals have different treatment requirements and wishes, and as a result, we offer multiple programs at varying levels of time investment and involvement to ensure that anyone can access the care they need.
Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOPs)
IOPs are designed for those seeking more structure and higher levels of care. We offer two IOPs: IOP5 and IOP3. While our IOPs are relatively similar, they do have some differences.
IOP5 lasts 40 to 60 days. Those in treatment in this program will stay at a local sober living house seven days a week and can attend multiple group therapy sessions Monday through Friday.
IOP3 lasts 30 to 40 days and is a shorter stay than IOP5. Like IOP5, individuals in this program will reside in a local sober living house seven days a week. Group sessions are offered Monday through Friday. Clients in this program can choose between two morning sessions and two afternoon sessions of group therapy.
Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
Our PHP offers a greater level of flexibility than our IOPs. The program lasts 30 to 45 days and runs three to five days a week, every week. Group sessions are offered multiple times a day, Monday through Friday. Like our IOPs, those in our PHP stay at a local sober living house seven days a week while in treatment.
Getting Help at Alter Wellness Care Laguna Beach
At Alter Wellness Care, we understand that effective recovery must take your whole life and person into account. While you are enrolled in an IOP or PHP, we offer various additional services designed to help you get the most from your treatment.
Our services include, but are not limited to:
- Psychoeducational groups: Learning more about your brain disorder and mental health and developing strategies for managing symptoms
- Skill development groups: Individualized training for members of the group centered around your disorders and your goals
- Support groups: Meeting with peers, developing interpersonal skills, and discussing and solving problems
- Acceptance therapy: Identifying what is most important to you and how to achieve it.
Our additional services are not meant to fill time but to provide you with much-needed therapy and care so that you can see the progress you’re making.
Brain disorders are common and can be serious. Treatment is often required to recover and find comfort in your life. Alter Wellness Care, located in Laguna Beach, California, can support you. Our expert staff is trained to help those with brain disorders on the path to recovery. To learn more about how we can help, by calling us at (866) 515-1580 today.